Mobile homes are valuable assets as they are beautiful, comfortable, eco friendly, energy-efficient and movable. You can use available kits or customise your own wooden mobile home. They are a perfect escape and can be set in any location.
So, how to care for these mobile homes to last longer? Timely maintenance can increase its life substantially. So here’s a guide for all the existing and would be mobile homeowners.
Painting Your Mobile Home
Generally, when the exterior paint chips off, you may feel the wood is rotten. But on the contrary, it’s not the case. You can consider repainting the exteriors once every three or seven years. For this, you’ve to scrape off the peeling paint, which is peeling, sand it and apply new coats. This will extend the life of your mobile homes significantly.
The paints which have acrylic binders as pre-treatment have a fantastic benefit. They let paint expand and contract with wood, leading to a minor breakout of colour. On the other hand, oil-based paints penetrate deep into the wood. But, they don’t contract and expand with timber which may lead to early cracking of paint.
So, whenever you feel your paint is breaking out, scrap it, sand it and apply necessary pre-paint and post-paint layers.
Sealers and Stainers
If you’re a lover of natural wood texture and patterns, then sealer and stainers are an excellent choice. It looks more realistic and aesthetically beautiful. But, on the other hand, the beautiful grain of the wood siding looks pretty raw and rustic. So, you can remove the paint and try sealer and stains. Also, repaint every four years if you’re willing to go for sealers and stainers.
Inspections and Cleaning
Timely inspection and cleaning will save your mobile home from moisture, discolouration, cracks and seasonal changes. So some of the expert tips are:
- Clean the dirt like leaves, grass, pollens, dust with a hose sprayer. Always use mild cleaning agents to limit damage to the siding of wooden houses.
- If you notice any tiny possible holes, then patch them up. You can use epoxy, which is water-resistant. It will protect the mobile homes against water winds and minimise air leaks.
- You must check the surroundings of the mobile home. Trim the branches plants which are very close to the mobile home. It can lead to moisture exchange and make your mobile home full of leaves and twigs.
- Ensure a good seal around the caulk, joints and siding that meets the roof. A good seal shroud of all angles and joints will keep your siding dry.
- Use proper antiseptics, fungicides and insecticides. Frequent use of these will make your home pest-free.
- It would be best to clean stains of ungalvanised nails that appear rusty. Also, check for mildew. You can clean these mild stains with a brush and mild bleach. You can also use oxalic acid.
These constant cleanups, checks and painting will make your mobile home durable. This will ensure a long life and good quality home. So, practice all these things and do mandatory checkups.
So, go through all these points thoroughly and ensure timely maintenance for the prolonged life of your mobile home. After all, they are valuable, luxurious, and so comfortable.