Exploring the Unique Flavors of Blackberry Vanilla Basil Jam
Jam-making is an art that invites creativity and experimentation. Today, we’re exploring a unique recipe: Blackberry Vanilla Basil Jam, a delightful twist on the traditional blackberry jam.
- 2 1/2 lbs fresh blackberries
- 3 3/4 cups granulated white sugar
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 1 large clove of roasted garlic
- 1/4 cup finely minced fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp dried basil in cheesecloth
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Begin by preparing your canning equipment. Sterilize your jars and lids, and get your water bath ready.
- In a large stockpot, combine all the ingredients. The high sides of the pot are essential to prevent splatter as the jam thickens.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, constantly stirring. You’ll notice the transformation from a sugary mixture to a luscious, thick jam.
- Once the jam reaches 220°F, check its consistency using the plate test. If it sets to your liking, it’s ready to be jarred.
- For long-term storage, process the jars in a water bath. Alternatively, you can seal the jars and refrigerate for immediate use.
This recipe is a fascinating blend of sweet, tangy, and herbal flavors, with an unexpected hint of roasted garlic that adds depth. It’s a perfect example of how traditional recipes can be transformed into something extraordinary with a little creativity.
Enjoy this jam on toast, as a glaze for meats, or paired with cheeses. The combination of blackberries, vanilla, and basil, with a hint of garlic, creates a multi-layered flavor profile that’s both delightful and surprising