This scrumptious Crock Pot Italian Pot Roast recipe is a easy frugal weeknight dinner for a family that has a busy schedule. Let your crockpot slowly cook your meal while you are multiple tasking doing other household chores and activities.
I noticed in a post the other day that a bunch of you would like to cook more from scratch but were a little skeptical….this is a prime example of how easy it is….
1. Put Potatoes, Carrots and Onions (cut into big chunks) into a crockpot. The Potatoes and Carrots can be cut up the night before and kept in cold water in the fridge. (these veggies are from our garden)
2. Put a nice Roast on top of the veggies. (This is a 2 & 1/2 pound Rib Eye Roast that I got super cheap). You can use a much cheaper roast if you want, as the acid in the Tomatoes acts like a meat tenderizer.
3. Add to taste, your favorite herbs & spices (I used Celery Seeds, Garlic Granules, Parsley Flakes, Cumin, Salt & Pepper)
4. Add 2 quarts of Stewed Tomatoes ( canned my own )
5. Turn the crockpot on High, put on the lid and 8 hours later you have a very nice dinner. I’ll add some bread with Homemade Apple Butter to this meal and Voila’!
Total prep time 22 minutes (I counted)
Serves 4 and cost around $8.00 to make.
This cost was almost entirely the roast and the herbs & spices. I consider the veggies free because we grew them ourselves and if you calculate one tiny Tomato seed producing 15 quarts of Stewed Tomatoes…well, I just don’t want to do the math…..Leftovers will be used as a base for soup next week….
Guest Post by an amazing The Homestead Survival reader Debbie M. B. (She is also a member of our private interactive group on Facebook … Click here to join)