This frugal homemade citrus dishwasher soap recipe is easy to make, frugal and really works at cleaning dirty dishes.
Many people are getting into homemade products because it is very natural compared to all of the chemicals used in the stores. People also really like the smell of fruits, especially citrus because of it’s added cleaning powers.
Make sure you like The Homestead Survival and Homestead Survival Facebook, and explore our PINTEREST BOARDS for innovative ways you can become self-sufficient on a budget.
Here is a recipe using lemons with white vinegar, salt, and water for a specially created soap with that wonderful scent.
First, slice the lemons into small, thick chunks, with its seeds removed. Put the lemons into a saucepan with 1 ½ cup of water and heat it to a slow boil. Let it fester for 20 minutes until the water is syrup-like and the lemons are very soft. During this time, stir it up for a bit. Put the cooled mix in a blender with 2 cups of water and blend until it’s smoothed. After draining it back into the pan, put in the salt and vinegar and mix.
Boil it again for another 15 minutes, let it cool down while stirring, and stick in a jar or empty detergent bottle. It should be a bit thick like real dishwasher soap. The mix will degrease and clean the hardened mineral deposits from dishes, plates, and pans. It is all natural and just as effective as regular soap. Try out the natural zest of lemon in homemade soap to wash the dishes.
Feel free to experiment using grapefruits, Limes, Lemons, Tangerine and Kumquats …. you can even try different combination of citrus fruits.
1. The citric acid in the citrus fruits (grapefruit, lemon, limes and such) helps to clean mineral deposits and is a great degreaser.
2. The natural lemon oil in the rind has antibacterial and cleaning properties.
3. The white vinegar contains acetic acid which is a good degreaser and also helps as a rinse agent to soften hard water.
4. The kosher salt acts as a scouring agent.
5. The rind and white pith of the lemon are rich in pectin which is a natural thickening agent.