ArticlesHere’s What You Need To Know About Creating A Home Library

Here’s What You Need To Know About Creating A Home Library

Reading a book can be a source of healing during uncertain times, and reading good books can provide us with a different way to engage socially while we’re staying at home. However, there are fewer people who are reading for pleasure nowadays: a 2019 Pew Research Center survey reveals that 27 percent of American adults say that they haven’t read a book in the past year. Having a dedicated space for storing and reading books, such as a home library, may help to encourage children and adults to engage in this wholesome pastime, which can benefit anyone throughout their life. If you’ve got a collection of book sale finds and book series scattered in different parts of your home, it’s time to gather and display them attractively in your very own reading space. Here’s what you need to know about creating a home library.

Decide where to place your home library

A home library should have an ideal environment for storing books. Areas that are prone to excessive moisture and humidity, such as the basement, aren’t ideal if you’re planning to use it as a library. However, Mangum Builders explain that you can easily transform an unused room, a well-ventilated attic, or even a spacious stair landing into the home library of your dreams with a little renovation. Once you’ve chosen the place for your library, give the area a thorough cleaning and refresh it with a coat of paint. Choose neutral paint colors to give your library a calm and cozy feel, such as cream, ivory, charcoal or pure white.

Setting it up

Your bookshelves will be the highlight of your home library, and while you can certainly get ready-made ones, it may be better to make them yourself or have a carpenter customize one for you so you can optimize your space. Floor to ceiling white or natural wood shelves will make your books and knick knacks stand out, while black shelves will provide a dramatic backdrop for your collection. Don’t forget to add a rolling library ladder in the same color as your shelves so you can easily and safely reach or rearrange higher shelves. Next, place a comfortable chair and an ottoman or a two-seater sofa somewhere in the home library, and lay down a patterned rug on the floor to add some color and texture to the space. Consider hanging up a few paintings or framed prints, and place a potted plant in the corner to give your home library a touch of nature.

Arrange your shelves

Fill the shelves with your book collection, making sure to arrange your books in such a way that you can easily find the book that you want to read. You can separate hard covers from paperbacks, or organize books by subject or genre. You can even arrange your books by color or organize them alphabetically. Consider taking a cue from bookstores and display your favorites in a prominent place, and have a separate section for books that you have yet to read. If you have more space than books to fill it up, you can place other items on the shelves, such as a decorative vase, a globe, or other knick knacks to make use of all that shelf space. To create balance, display 60 percent of your books vertically, while the remaining 40 percent can be stacked and displayed horizontally.

Having a home library can encourage your family to spend more time reading. Consider these tips to create a beautiful reading space and rediscover your love of books.

Bryan Thomas
Bryan Thomas
Hello, I'm Bryan Thomas, a passionate advocate for sustainable living, emergency preparedness, and self-reliance. With over a decade of experience in homesteading and a background in environmental science, I aim to educate and inspire others to live a more sustainable and self-sufficient lifestyle.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Subscribe Today


Get unlimited access to our EXCLUSIVE Content and our archive of subscriber stories.

Exclusive content

Latest articles

Popular Articles

More articles