8 granny smith peeled apples and cut up in 1.5 inch thick slices
1.Melt 1 cup butter in a sauce pan.
2. Stir in 6 tablespoons flour to form a paste.
3. Add 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/2 cup of water. Bring mixture to a boil.
4. Reduce temperature and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Roll out pie crust into the bottom of pie pan.
6. Fill with sliced apples, mounded gently.
7. Heavily drizzle with about half of the sugary caramel sauce.
8. Cover mounded apple slices with a top layer of homemade pie crust. Here is where you can make beautiful designs if you choose. Use small cookie cutters to make shapes, placing them in a circle working your way from the center outwards.
9. Brush tiny amounts the remaining caramel over the crust.
10. Sprinkle with a few shakes of cinnamon.
11. Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees
12. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes.
13. Take homemade caramel apple pie out of the oven and let sit out for at least 4 hours before serving to let flavors blend.
You can top each slice of pie with homemade whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. I even hear that is some places in the United States that homesteaders melt a thin slice of cheddar cheese over their homemade apple caramel pie.
TheHomesteadSurvival.com is all about preparedness through self reliance.
Our mission is to inspire and encourage you to live a simple, joyful life, no matter where you live. If you want to learn homesteading skills, like raising chickens and preserving the harvest for winter, you’ve come to the right place.