This Hot Water Cheese Baked Breakfast Pastry Tart Vintage Recipe is a wonderfully frugal way to create a delicious warm handheld pastry tart topped with your favorite ingredients:
1 and 1/3 cups shortening
3/4 cup boiling water
4 cups general purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups American Cheese (grated)
1. Place shortening in a warm bowl, pour boiling water over it and cream thoroughly with a fork.
2. Place flour, salt, and baking powder in flour sieve and sift gradually into the creamed mixture.
3. Add 2 cups of grated cheese. Mix thoroughly.
4. Roll dough into balls, then chill dough balls in the refrigerator.
5. When ready to bake remove from refrigerator, divide the dough and roll out into rectangles. Cut into rectangles and bake at 350 degrees until golden brown.
6. Spread cream cheese on top while warm still.
7. Optional: (top your baked tarts with one or multiple items listed below)
1. Berries (blueberries, raspberries, sliced strawberries or blackberries)
2. Sliced and peeled fruit slices (Apples, Peaches, Oranges and Kiwi)
3. Vegetables Sliced and Peeled (Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Carrots, sliced Onions, sliced green or red sweet peppers, jalapeño peppers, banana peppers, black olives, avocado, baby spinach)
4. Coleslaw, sauerkraut
5. Corned beef, pastrami, turkey, chicken or fried bacon strips
6. Different flavors of cheeses
(Makes 30 tarts)