A recliner is much more comfortable than a traditional armchair and can have additional useful functions. Read this article to find out how to choose this furniture item wisely!
Modern recliners look incredibly stylish and can provide you with much more comfort than a conventional armchair. You might want to buy one for your living room where you watch TV, for your bedroom or home library where you read books or any other type of room. From this article, you’ll get to know how to choose a top-notch recliner for your home. That should be a great investment in your quality of life and well-being!
Types of Recliners
Here are the most common types of recliners you can choose from:
- Two-position. It’s the most popular type. The two positions it features are upright or completely reclined.
- Pushback. To flatten out the recliner, you should give it a push with your back. The primary shortcoming of this type is the lack of a footrest. If you enjoy stretching out your legs while relaxing, this might be not the best option for you.
- Rocker. It can flatten out and also rock when upright. If you have a small kid, it should be easy for you to soothe them in such a furniture item. Or, you can use it to lull yourself to sleep with a gentle motion. The rocker is one of the most affordable recliner types.
- Power lift. This one is fully motorized. It’s a spot-on choice for consumers who struggle to stand on their own as well as people with disabilities or injuries. When you want to stand up, the chair will gently push you out. This type of recliner normally has a high price tag because of all the technology it is equipped with.
- Wall hugger. You might want to purchase this one if the space in your room is limited. This furniture item requires about half a foot of space from the wall when fully reclined. It won’t leave scuff marks on your wall or scrape up your paint.
- Massage recliners. They are rather costly but you’ll appreciate them if some of your body parts tend to ache. The recliner will knead, knock and vibrate your back, neck and limbs, helping you to relax after a busy day. All you need to do to start a massage session is to push a button. Some recliners of this type also feature the heating option.
Please mind that not all recliners allow you to lie flat! If you need this option, make sure to double-check it before the purchase.
Before purchasing a recliner, you should assess the size of both your body and the room where you’re planning to place the chair. Here is the difference between the three available sizes:
- Small — measures at 39″ or less in width
- Standard — measures at about 40″ wide
- Oversized — is 50″ or more in width
Make sure there is enough space between the chair and the wall. When such a furniture item flattens out, it might occupy from one to three feet of extra space.
Take a seat before the purchase. Do your feet touch the floor while in the sitting position? Does your head comfortably fit the headrest? If the answer to both questions is positive, this recliner properly fits your body size.
The right size of the gap between the seat and leg rest is 5 inches or less. At the same time, this gap might pose a safety hazard for young kids and pets.
Recliners can have either fabric or leather upholstery. The former are most often made of velvet, cotton or chenille. They breathe well and provide a high level of comfort. On the flip side, the fabric upholstery is easy to get stained. As soon as you spill something on your recliner, you should promptly use a spot remover.
Leather upholstery has the following primary benefits:
- Looks premium
- Compared to fabric, is more durable
- Is easy to clean
You might want to avoid leather if you have pets. Their sharp claws might leave scratches on this material that you won’t be able to repair.
Compared to ordinary furniture, recliners should have sturdier frames that won’t warp or crack over time. The best recliners are made from solid steel and hardwood frames. Such furniture items can serve you for many years or even decades.
The simplest chairs might offer only one reclining option. Yet to make the most of this type of furniture, you might want to opt for a model with a luxury motor system. Chairs with a manual recline based on spring-based technology quickly pop into place. The ones with a whisper-quiet motor system offer more position choices with smoother transitions.
Features and Functions
Here are a few additional features that the best recliners can offer:
- Cup or glass holder
- Tray table where you can put your laptop
- Phone or tablet holder with various viewing positions
- Built-in USB charger
- LED flex light (you won’t need to get up each time you want to turn the light on or off)
- Head and neck pillow. Normally, such pillows are attached to the chair with an anti-slip strap that secures them in place. The pillow will provide extra support for your head and neck, helping you to get rid of pain.
If you buy a recliner with motorized features, you might want it to have a wireless battery. Thanks to this solution, you won’t need to find an outlet to plug the chair in. No one ever will trip over the cord and you can still have power even when the electricity goes out.
Hopefully, this article came in handy and now you better understand how to choose a modern recliner for your home. You should pay attention to the following parameters: type of recliner, size, material, skeleton, incliner mechanism and extra features. This type of furniture can provide you with an outstanding level of comfort and maybe also get rid of pain in your neck, back and limbs. All your family members should quickly fall in love with your recliner, so you might consider the possibility of buying several of them!