This step by step tutorial of how to make homesteading milk soap from scratch will show you how to make a soap that is naturally moisturizing for a person’s face and body.
Many homesteaders enjoy making their own soap, but if you want a luxurious washing experience and silk soft skin, you want to make milk soap.
This scratch-made recipe will show you how to create your very own, homemade milk soap in a little over a day. The process is so simple, you may find yourself making more just to give away to family and friends.
Please note, this soapmaking recipe calls for lye, which is a caustic chemical. Always use proper safety equipment when handling lye, and always make sure to store it safely and keep it out of reach of children and animals.
You will need:
• frozen or semi-frozen milk
• lye (sodium hydroxide)
• olive oil
• coconut oil
• castor oil
• silicone mold
• mixing bowl (x 2)
• safety gloves
• safety goggles
Instructions: (simple preview)
1. Put on safety gear. It’s very important to handle lye carefully, as it can cause serious skin burns. Do not allow children to handle lye or to be present when you’re using it.
2. Place the frozen or semi-frozen milk in the mixing bowl, and very, very slowly (over the course of several minutes) pour the lye over it. When complete, set aside.
3. Combine oils in the other mixing bowl.
4. Carefully pour the milk and lye mixture into the oils.
5. Stir until it’s fully blended and has a thick, batter-like consistency.
6. Pour into the mold(s), cover, and let stand undisturbed for 24 hours.
7. Remove, and enjoy!
Keep your soap in a cool, dry place until ready for use.
Click here to read about how to make homesteading milk soap from scratch:
Greetings! I'm Melissa Francis, the founder and primary contributor to The Homestead Survival. With over 20 years of experience in homesteading, sustainability, and emergency preparedness, I've dedicated my life to helping others achieve a simpler, more self-reliant lifestyle.
TheHomesteadSurvival.com is all about preparedness through self reliance.
Our mission is to inspire and encourage you to live a simple, joyful life, no matter where you live. If you want to learn homesteading skills, like raising chickens and preserving the harvest for winter, you’ve come to the right place.