Potica Slovenian Nut Roll homemade vintage recipe is a delicious celebratory (holiday) bread resembling a jelly roll made of very thinly rolled yeast dough spread with a nut paste.
2 packages active dry, or 2 cakes compressed, yeast
1/2 cup warm (not hot) or lukewarm water
2 cups scalded milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup soft butter or margarine
4 egg yolks
8 to 9 cups sifted all-purpose flour
Ingredients for Nut Paste Filling:
1 lb. shelled walnuts
1 cup light cream
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
4 egg whites
1. In a small bowl, sprinkle or crumble yeast onto warm water (for compressed yeast, use lukewarm water); stir until dissolved.
2. In a large bowl, combine milk with sugar, salt, butter. Cool till lukewarm.
3. Stir in egg yolks, yeast mixture, then 2 cups flour; mix well. Stir in enough more flour to make a stiff dough.
4. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until smooth.
5. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease all sides. Cover with a clean towel; let rise in a warm place (85° F.) about 1 hr., or until dent remains when a finger is pressed deep into the side of the dough.
6. While dough rises, grease 4 9? x 5? x 3? loaf pans.
7. Make the filling: Put walnuts through the fine blade of food chopper. In a medium saucepan, heat cream to boiling point; remove from heat; stir in walnuts, then sugar, salt, vanilla. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in bread crumbs until lightly browned; add to walnut mixture. In a bowl, beat egg whites till stiff; fold in walnut mixture.
8. When the dough is ready, turn it onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 4 parts; do not knead.
9. Roll 1 piece into 16? x 9? rectangle; spread with one-fourth of walnut filling. Roll up, jelly-roll fashion, starting from the short side. Pinch ends and side to seal. Place in one of the loaf pans. Repeat with 3 other pieces of dough.
Let rise in warm place 1 hr. Meanwhile, start heating oven to 350° F. Bake loaves 40 to 45 min., or until done. Makes 4 loaves. (For Christmas giving, make a day ahead.)
Click here to read about Potica Slovenian Nut Roll Homemade Vintage Recipe :
TheHomesteadSurvival.com is all about preparedness through self reliance.
Our mission is to inspire and encourage you to live a simple, joyful life, no matter where you live. If you want to learn homesteading skills, like raising chickens and preserving the harvest for winter, you’ve come to the right place.