Prevent Frozen Water Pipes This Cold Winter Hacks
How to Prevent Frozen Water Pipes This Cold Winter Hacks was designed to introduce homesteading readers to a simple method for preventing this from happening. When it comes to your home it is always far cheaper to prevent an emergency situation when possible. When it comes to your water pipes in winter time this is especially true, considering if your home water pipes were to burst. If that were to happen you could end up with many thousands of dollars worth of repairs.
When temperatures plummet, the risk of your pipes freezing and bursting skyrockets. In fact, burst pipes are one of the most common causes of property damage during frigid weather.
* Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night.
* Add insulation to attics, basements and crawl spaces. Insulation will maintain higher temperatures in these areas.
* Check around the home for other areas where water supply lines are located in unheated areas. Look in the garage, and under kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Both hot and cold water pipes in these areas should be insulated.
* Consider installing specific products made to insulate water pipes like a “pipe sleeve” or installing UL-listed “heat tape,” “heat cable,” or similar materials on exposed water pipes. Newspaper can provide some degree of insulation and protection to exposed pipes – even ¼” of newspaper can provide significant protection in areas that usually do not have frequent or prolonged temperatures below freezing.
* Consider relocating exposed pipes to provide increased protection from freezing.
* Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals up out of the reach of children.
A 1/8-inch crack in a pipe can leak up to 250 gallons of water a day, causing flooding, serious structural damage, and the immediate potential for mold.
This article and the Do It Yourself project that is included were designed to help educate the reader about a really simple solution to a costly problem.
The DIY project describes all of the necessary stuff that is needed to have on hand.
It also includes a detailed description of all of the necessary steps that will need to be followed.
All of the information is presented in a way that makes it really easy to read.
Click here to read about how to Prevent Frozen Water Pipes This Cold Winter Hacks:
Click here to read about Why Frozen Water Pipes Will Burst in a House:
You may also like...