Spicy Tamale Casserole Homemade Vintage Recipe
This Spicy Tamale Casserole Homemade Vintage Recipe is super delicious, frugal to make and freezes well. Layers and layers of flavorful ingredents to savor and enjoy.
3 pounds ground beef
1/2 onion chopped
1 1/2 packages taco seasonings
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup water
1 can (17 ounces) whole kernel corn
1 can chili beans
3 cans diced tomatoes and chilies
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
2 packages (8 ounces) corn bread mix
1 cup milk
Optional: Add a can of drained corn
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Brown ground beef and chopped onions. Drain and return to pan.
3. Add spices, taco seasoning and water. Stir and simmer 5 minutes.
4. Add drained corn, chili beans, diced tomatoes and chilies, and tomato paste. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Remove from heat. Pour meat mixture into a 5-quart casserole dish. Smooth mixture flat with a spoon.
6. Sprinkle both kinds of cheese over meat mixture edge to edge forming a solid sheet of cheese that seals when the cheese melts.
7. Place dish in the oven just long enough to thoroughly melt cheese, 3-5 minutes. Remove from oven.
8. Prepare cornbread mix with eggs and milk and pour mixture over cheese smoothing batter edge to edge. Bake 30-40 minutes until cornbread is done and the top is lightly browned.
9. Serve with sour cream and picante sauce.
You may also like...