For some people, molds are just the slimy fungi found in the deep corners of their homes. However, most are not aware that aside from allergic reactions, molds can be deadly to specific individuals.
In their natural habitat, molds are essential in the decomposition cycle so that organic matter can be recycled into the soil for use by other organisms. However, the special defenses they have developed and how they propagate can now affect humans if the mold ends up inside our houses.
Here are some reasons why mold and good health do not mix well.
How does mold affect my health and well-being? Can mold affect my pets, too? These are typical concerns that homeowners may have when they first detect the presence of mold in their homes.
While many people tend to have high resistance to molds, some can have asthma attack triggers and allergic reactions from even the slightest whiff of mold spores. Symptoms of mold allergy include irritated eyes, nose, throat, congestion of the airways, and even skin irritation in some cases.
If you are getting allergic reactions while you are at home, and being away from home makes the symptoms abate, then your home may have a mold infestation that is large enough to trigger allergic reactions.
Age and health issues
Mold spores tend to attack specific types of people and animals. It is well known that mold spores tend to affect the young and the elderly more. The immune system is typically not operating at full power in both cases. As a result, poor immunity can lead to more serious allergic reactions that can threaten a person’s life.
Some molds can release mycotoxins, creating severe medical conditions in people exposed to mold for long periods. Mycotoxins can go as far as to affect the nervous system and the brain itself.
Severe reactions are usually directly correlated to the amount of mycotoxin an individual has been exposed to. Therefore, the longer the exposure period, the more intense the condition will be, and the longer it will take the body to heal itself.
What can you do about it?
When it comes to mold and your health, preventive measures and regular inspection are the better solutions, rather than wait for things to get worse that you may have to abandon your house. You should keep a personal inspection schedule, such as looking over the house before the seasons change or if it has been humid the past few weeks. That way, you can get the jump on a possible “bloom” of molds.
Don’t be tempted to go the DIY route before you’ve had a professional assessment of the situation. Improper mold remediation can lead to the proliferation of more spores into the atmosphere, which can be detrimental to your health. A spore burst may also transfer the infestation to other parts of your home. Therefore, it is recommended to hire a mold inspector to equip you with some knowledge on how to clean up all that mold.