What Causes Mold and How Dangerous Can It Be?
It can be disheartening to see mold growing in your home. Not only is it unsightly, but it can also be dangerous for your property and your health. That’s why homeowners need to understand what causes mold, along with its effects, so it will be easier for you to prevent its spread.
Molds are not entirely bad. In fact, they are crucial for maintaining the ecosystem’s balance. However, mold inside your home is not a positive thing. The presence of mold means that your home has moist space that makes it easier for it to grow and dwell. Molds are part of the family of fungi, and they contain spores that get ejected into the air, which can affect any part of your home, including shoes, heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning systems (HVACs), and even your pets. They love to grow in areas that have high moisture levels.
Mold needs these six factors to grow:
The presence of mold spores can initiate the growth of more mold in your home. These spores are prolific, they can be present anywhere, and they are hard to prevent because they are invisible to the naked eye. The only time you will know they exist is when you already see molds in your household items. Since they can be spread via air, they can be easily introduced into your home. While they are hard to remove from your home, keeping them under control is your only recourse.
According to Mold Masters, mold cannot thrive when there is no moisture. If you have areas in our home with high humidity or moisture, you can expect mold to grow. It is also essential to understand that the longer the moisture exists, the better it is for mold to grow. In homes, the most common area where mold thrives is anywhere where there is water. Bathrooms, the kitchen sink, and other areas with leaks can become a mold nursery. Mold can also grow in places you can’t even see, such as ceilings, where roof leaks occur. Removing the source of moisture can be useful in combating the growth of mold.
Mold is a living thing, and like any life form, it needs a food source to survive and replicate. This is why you often find mold in areas with high vegetation, such as forests, old logs, tree trunks, soil, and even the grass. Mold in your home can also feed off from the organic materials that you have in your home, such as your wood panels. Accumulated dust and dirt can also become a food source for it. It may seem impossible, but mold can also feed on your luggage, clothes, carpets, newspapers, and damp cardboard.
Like any living thing, molds can also die without an oxygen source, and they will thrive and grow when they have plenty of it. Areas that have damp and airy conditions is the perfect set up for mold growth.
Mold can cause a myriad of diseases. For those with sensitivities like a mold allergy, exposure to mold spores can cause a severe allergic reaction, such as sneezing, eye inflammation, and skin rash. Black mold can even cause respiratory problems, particularly when there is prolonged exposure.
When your home’s condition is controlled, you can effectively manage the mold growth in your home. Having regular maintenance can significantly help, so it is best to check out your options.