PetsXylitol Sugar Free Additive KILLS Dogs and Cats - Peanut Butter

Xylitol Sugar Free Additive KILLS Dogs and Cats – Peanut Butter

Deadly Xylitol Sugar Free Additive KILLS Dogs and Cats… warn your family and friends of the danger. Some sugar-free peanut butters are now using “Xylitol” as a sweetener, which is bad news for dogs and cat. As in deadly, in a very short amount of time.

Xylitol Sugar Free Additive KILLS Dogs and Cats

One of the latest food additives that are being used in the food manufacturing industry is a chemical called Xylitol. This sugar substitute or artificial sweetener is supposed to lower calorie intake when put into foods that are traditionally high in sugar. One of these foods is peanut butter. Unfortunately, peanut butter is also a favorite treat for dogs.

Xylitol is DEADLY to DOGS and Cats!

Question: Why is xylitol so Dangerous for Dogs and Cats?

Answer: Ingestion of xylitol primarily affects insulin release throughout the body. Insulin causes an increase of glucose (blood sugar) uptake into the liver, muscle, and fat cells resulting in decreasing blood glucose levels.

Xylitol strongly promotes the release of insulin from the pancreas into circulation leading to a rapid decrease of blood glucose levels. Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) can occur within 30 to 60 minutes of xylitol ingestion with levels as low as 0.1g xylitol /kg body weight.

Hypoglycemia may compound further into liver toxicity, liver damage, and ultimately liver failure. Ingesting amounts of xylitol greater than 0.5 g xylitol /kg body weight increases the risk for developing liver toxicity as quoted (Seattle Times) 

One of the biggest ways that people are using to cut down on calories in processed foods is to replace the sugars with artificial sweeteners. The thought is to reduce the amount of raw sugar being used in the baking process. It is a chemical cocktail that is unhealthy for humans and deadly for dogs.

Xylitol, an artificial sweetener used as a sugar substitute in foods, including sugar-free gum, sugar-free mints, chew-able vitamins, tooth paste, oral-care products and Peanut Butter.

Alternative Names for XYLITOL include:


Birch Sugar, E967



Sucre de Bouleau






Symptoms Your Dog has been Poisoned:




Trouble Walking

Lethargy and Weakness

Skin and Intestinal Hemorrhaging

A simple bites of a piece of cake or cookie could kill an animal if the danger is unknown and not addressed immediately.

If xylitol ingestion happens, consult your veterinarian immediately.

Inducing vomiting to remove as much of the xylitol is imperative – Like life or death ! Seriously

Close monitoring of blood sugar levels is a must and intravenous infusions of glucose (sugar) may also be needed depending on the amount ingested and how quickly the problem was recognized.

Melissa Francis
Melissa Francis
Greetings! I'm Melissa Francis, the founder and primary contributor to The Homestead Survival. With over 20 years of experience in homesteading, sustainability, and emergency preparedness, I've dedicated my life to helping others achieve a simpler, more self-reliant lifestyle.

Subscribe Today


Get unlimited access to our EXCLUSIVE Content and our archive of subscriber stories.

Exclusive content

Latest articles

Popular Articles

More articles