Hey, fellow homesteaders and food enthusiasts! I recently stumbled upon this incredibly innovative and healthy snack recipe by Willow Moon on Create Mindfully. I was so thrilled by it that I just had to share it with you all. Willow Moon has crafted a delicious and nutritious alternative to traditional potato chips using zucchini or yellow squash. Trust me; you’re going to want to try this!
Why You Should Try This Recipe
- Healthy Alternative: These chips are a fantastic alternative to the greasy, store-bought potato chips. They contain a touch of olive oil but are not greasy.
- Great for Gardeners: If you have an abundance of zucchini or yellow squash in your garden, this is an excellent way to use them up.
- Nutrient-Rich: The use of a dehydrator ensures that most of the nutrients are retained, unlike oven-baked chips.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Raw zucchini or yellow squash
- Apple cider vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
How to Make These Chips
- Slice the Squash: Use a mandoline to slice the squash between ⅛” – ¼” thick. If you don’t have a mandoline, a sharp knife will do.
- Prepare the Mixture: In a medium bowl, mix apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and salt. Toss the sliced squash in this mixture.
- Dehydrate: Lay the chips in a single layer on a Teflon-lined dehydrator sheet. Dehydrate for 12 hours at 110° or until you achieve the desired crispness.
Storage and Shelf Life
- Store the chips in an airtight container in the pantry.
- They will stay fresh for about a week, although they can last much longer.
Variations and Additions
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- BBQ Seasoning
- Black pepper
Tips for the Perfect Chips
- Thickness Matters: The thickness of the slices can affect the texture. Willow Moon prefers ⅛” slices.
- Salt Levels: Always taste the vinegar mixture to check the salt levels.
- Nutrient Retention: Dehydrate at 110° to keep the nutrients intact.
Does zucchini dehydrate well?
Absolutely, zucchini dehydrates really well, leaving you with crispy chips.
How thick should I cut the zucchini for dehydrating?
Willow Moon suggests slicing the zucchini ⅛” thick for the best results.
Pair it Up!
These chips go incredibly well with Vegan Ranch Dressing or your favorite dip. So, don’t hesitate to pair them up for an even more delightful snacking experience.
Willow Moon has done an incredible job creating this healthy snack, and I couldn’t be more excited to try it out. It’s a great way to make use of the abundant produce from your garden and enjoy a guilt-free snack. So, what are you waiting for? Head over to Create Mindfully for the full recipe and give these Salt and Vinegar Dehydrated Zucchini Chips a try!
Happy Snacking! 🌿