If you ever notice a foul odor whenever you pick the feet of your horse, there is a chance that he contracted thrush, a form of anaerobic frog-eating bacteria. Thrush is the main concern, particularly during wet weather, that can affect horses, whether they are in a stable or living primarily at the pasture.
Since it is a type of anaerobic bacterial disease, it can survive even in the absence of oxygen. It can even get killed by oxygen. In most minor cases, a simple hoof picking on a daily basis is enough for keeping thrush away.
According to Southern States, thrush is not fatal. Many studies that minor thrush cases have a 3-day window to appear and also a 3-day window for it to disappear as long as appropriate measures have been taken.
Poor hygiene is essentially the culprit behind thrush concerns in horses.
It is difficult to understand how serious something is when it seems so subtle. However, because of the hoof construction of horses, it can become fatal when not addressed properly.
There are two distinct layers in the frog, the external skin known as horn tissue and the sensitive corium, which is the corresponding vascular tissue layer. Under the inner sensitive layer is a shock absorber that looks like a pad that helps reduce the concussion for the hoof and the entire limb of the horse, referred to as the deep digital cushion.
You will notice the signs of thrush at the frog’s deep crevices when a black discharge that resembles puss is accompanied with a foul odor.
Savvy Horsewoman shares useful tried and tested solutions on how to treating thrush in horses.
TheHomesteadSurvival.com is all about preparedness through self reliance.
Our mission is to inspire and encourage you to live a simple, joyful life, no matter where you live. If you want to learn homesteading skills, like raising chickens and preserving the harvest for winter, you’ve come to the right place.