This is my all time favorite recipe for poppers and they are made in the oven instead of deep fried. The mayo makes them crispy. Making poppers this way is so much easier than trying to stuff a whole pepper.
As an added kicker to these totally delicious poppers, the bacon bits send the taste factor through the roof. I really love the combo of cheddar and cream cheese instead of all cream cheese as well. If you love jalapeno poppers this is a must try recipe. Once I tried it I have never ever made poppers any other way.
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (8 ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
15 fresh Jalapeño peppers, halved lengthwise and de-seeded
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tablespoon milk
1 1/2 cups crushed corn flake cereal, you will probably need more but add it a cup at a time so you don’t have to throw any away at the end.
3 oz package bacon bits
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, sharp Cheddar cheese and mayonnaise. (add bacon bits if desired) Stuff jalapeno halves with the mixture.
3. Whisk together eggs and milk in a small bowl. Place crushed corn flake cereal in a separate small bowl.
4. Dip each stuffed jalapeno half into the egg and milk mixture, then dip in corn flake cereal to coat the top.
5. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and lightly browned.
*Use rubber gloves when cleaning jalapenos!!