This Venison Stew Homemade Old Fashioned Vintage Recipe is a homesteader’s delicious delight.
Venison stew is true comfort food that fills your stomach and cheers your soul.
4 tablespoons shortening
2 pounds venison (Not big on venison? Substitute elk or beef stew meat)
1 cup flour
1 can tomatoes
1 cup mushrooms (chopped)
2 teaspoons mustard
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 medium onions (peeled and chopped)
2 tablespoons of butter
2 teaspoons vinegar (apple cider vinegar is my preferred choice)
1. Melt four tablespoons shortening (half butter) in the Dutch oven.
2. Cut two pounds venison into small pieces. Dip into the mixture of flour, seasoned with salt and pepper.
3. Brown meat in butter; add two chopped onions. Turn down the heat.
4. Stir in two teaspoons brown sugar and two teaspoons mustard.
5. Add one can tomatoes and one cup of mushrooms.
Sprinkle with two teaspoons vinegar.
Cover; simmer for at least three hours or until tender.
Serve over roasted potatoes and carrots.
AmazonBasics Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven – 7.5-Quart, GREEN
Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Classic RED
AmazonBasics Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven – 6-Quart, BLUE
Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. WHITE