Tomato Ketchup Best Homemade Vintage Recipe
This Tomato Ketchup Best Homemade Vintage Recipe is old fashioned delicious goodness that is far better than store-bought with extra depth of flavor, less salt and lower in sugar than commercially made brands.
24 large tomatoes, concassed* (about 4 quarts) (Concassed means peeled, seeded and chopped)
1/2 cup chopped sweet red peppers (about 1 medium)
1 cup chopped onions
1 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon whole allspice
1 stick cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 tablespoon paprika
1. Cook tomatoes, onions and pepper until soft. Press through a food mill or sieve. Cook rapidly until thick and volume is reduced by about one-half, about one hour. Stir to avoid burning.
2. Tie whole spices in bouquet garni, or cheesecloth bag and add to tomato mixture along with the sugar and salt.
3. Cook gently about 25 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add vinegar and paprika. Cook until thick, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
5. Place one teaspoon commercially prepared citric acid in each quart jar (or one-half teaspoon in each pint jar). Salt may be added if desired.
6. Pour ketchup, boiling hot, into hot canning jars, leaving one-eighth inch headspace. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in water-bath.
7. Makes about three pints.