Sweet Potato Pie Homemade Old Fashioned Vintage Recipe
This Sweet Potato Pie Homemade Old Fashioned Vintage Recipe is delicious soul food that brings comfort with every bite – just like a hug from your grandmother. This recipe was handed down generation after generation until finally it was published in the local newspaper in the mid-1950’s. Now many families have adopted this recipe into their family cookbooks.
One can (22-oz.) Louisiana yams, drained or two large cooked, peeled mashed yams
Three-fourths cup butter or margarine
One and one-half cup granulated sugar
One tablespoon flour
One-fourth teaspoon baking powder
Three-fourths cup evaporated milk
One-fourth teaspoon nutmeg
One teaspoon lemon flavoring
One teaspoon vanilla extract
One-fourth cup grated coconut
Two unbaked 9-inch pie shells or you can find “Homemade Pie Shell Recipe” right here.
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Mash canned drained potatoes with butter.
3. Add sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, eggs and stir well.
4. Stir in milk, nutmeg, and flavorings. Beat at high speed on electric mixer three minutes.
5. Add grated coconut.
6. Pour into two 9-inch pie shells and bake one hour or one hour and 15 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and allow to fully cool before serving.
You may also like...